Friday, September 27, 2013

Creativity

A writer sits behind the typewriter and types "It was a dark and stormy night" and than nothing happens...  They are predicting a stormy weekend and I am glad all my major rides for the season are done. Now I can be out for an hour and be done with the wet and cold. If I need to I can call for a ride.
I am back tracking.

You want to carve something but you don't know what. For a carver you sit there with a piece of wood whatever the size and you try to visualize what you might do with it. Do you go back and draw it out or do you model it in clay? I try to visualize in my head what I want to carve and than let my hands take me there. It has made for some interesting carvings over the years. I still find that when I carve something from my idea I have more fun with it. If I use a rough out I give myself permission to carve it my way. It makes it easier to complete. I also am not disappointed when it does not turn out the same as the original. I have been complemented that my carving was better than the original. Of course this is not a two week process. It takes years of practice. Sometimes you just whittle away for a while and just make a pile of chips. It is still time well spent. The bottom line says it all.

When I say that I quote Don Mertz  "The more One Carves the Better One Carves" and "It is about Enjoying the Journey."

Carved in Fort Saskatchewan Alberta for the Appelts (in laws) of my Niece(Tania) the day after her wedding.  The wood is freshly cut Diamond Willow from the banks of the Saskatchewan River.

No comments: